Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Laura Campbell

As I was expanding the screenplay from short to feature length, several characters got more development and focus. One in particular forced her way to the forefront. Her name was merely mentioned in the original script, but in the revised script, she became a very important supporting character. Honestly, she's only a back story away from being a main character. Her name is Laura Campbell.

I don't want to say a lot about the character, because I don't want to spoil anything, but suffice it to say, she's going to be a break-out character. She's going to be the character that everyone gets a kick out of. She has so many qualities and quirks that she practically begs for a terrible spin-off... not that I would ever let a Flo, Jacke', or Joanie Loves Chachi situation happen to one of my characers (unless gobs of money were offered).

Anyway, I was really worried about casting the role. It's not going to be an easy acting job. She has to be sexy. She has to be sassy. She has to be intelligent. She has to be sarcastic - without being that high-school play-style sarcastic.

I was beginning to think we'd never cast the role... And then, I was suddenly struck with the idea. I have an old friend - from way back in the day. We acted together in several theatre productions. She is incredibly attractive, a good actress, and incredibly charismatic. She's also made for film with distinctive features like big Disney eyes - just because someone is pretty (or even hot) doesn't mean they work on film. Generally, Hollywood types have large heads, skinny bodies, and very distinctive features that sorta' pop. That's why regular people - not matter how hot they are - don't really work on film (for one thing, their little normal heads are just so un-eye-catching)... but I digress...

The point is - the old friend would be perfect. The only problem is - I can't find her. She hasn't been on MySpace since April. Her phone number didn't work anymore. So... Tomorrow, I am going looking for her. I know what town she lives and works in... And I think I know what business it is... I guess I shall see. If not, I'll hire a private detective to track her down. We have to have her in this movie. It's literally a make or break thing.

Cross your fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment